Wednesday, January 14, 2015

An Introduction + "Top Shelf"


Hi I'm Kat! So, I'm not exactly new to blogging. I used to have one on here but once it was gone I started to miss it. I did enjoy writing out random thoughts and ramblings. You learn a lot in this weird blogging world. Anyway, I'm a 23 year old student currently living freezing in NJ. I love movies, fashion, books, animals (my dogs especially) and beauty. I love reading about beauty and skincare products online as well as from friends. Everyone's skin is different, so I like to learn and try as many things as possible to find what works. Into the Gloss is one of my favorite sites that shows products celebrities use in its Top Shelf series so I thought, why not share mine? So get ready for a super long post that I hope you'll enjoy!

Skincare
In the morning, I like to wash my face with SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Soap . I have really dry skin + eczema, and this is gentle, moisturizing, and doesn't strip my skin of moisture(!)  I also use it as a body soap. It has kind of a cologney smell? But it doesn't linger and you get used it. The African Black Soap is good too!
After I get out of the shower, I use Andes Nature Cosmetic Snail Extract Cream . I swear, it sounds really gross but it's actually very moisturizing but light. I used to use Cetaphil but it felt really thick and greasy on my skin. It doesn't have much of a scent either. I've always hated scented lotions. Victoria's Secret lotions do nothing for my skin and the smell is too overpowering. My mom gave this to me one day and I fell in love. 

Makeup 


I like to start by my priming face with elf Mineral Face Primer in Tone Adjusting Green. I had never used primer before so I picked up a cheap (college student budget) one to test out. I gotta say it's pretty good! I don't know how I ever wore foundation without using primer. I get a lot of redness and I find that although it doesn't eliminate it, it does calm it down significantly. It also gives you a nice smooth canvas for your foundation.
For foundation, I love mixing L'Oreal True Match in W7 Caramel Beige and N6 Honey Beige. It's full coverage and gives you a matte and flawless finish. It also lasts all day. I swear I could look like crap in the morning, but after I put this on I go from zero to hero. I really can't say enough about this foundation. And it's drugstore? It's seriously my Magna Carta HOLY GRAIL.
And now for my favorite part, concealer. Concealer, thank you for being there for me when I've only slept 2 hours because of finals. Thank you, for being there for me when I'm hungover and I can't look like a walking corpse at work. Thank you, for giving me that "I slept 10 hours" look when I've only slept half that. You're truly the real MVP. Anyway, here are my favorites: Maybelline Fit Me Concealer  in 20- Nars Creamy Concealer dupe! Flower Lighten Up! Brightening Concealer in Shade 2 - great for brightening/highlighting, lastly Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Eye Roller in Light/Medium - major life saver when in a rush, instantly brightens and has caffeine! I'll usually use any two of these together.
To set everything, I use Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Sandstorm. For an every day blush, I like to use Flower Win Some, Rouge Some Creme Blush in Elegant Azalea - natural, dark pink with a hint of peach. To highlight, I like to use The Balm's Mary-Lou Manizer  - I dream of one day having  that fabulous J.LO glow and I like to feel like I'm one step closer when I wear this.

For mascara, I like to pile on Flower Extreme Measures Lengthening Mascara in Intense Black. I like dry formulas because I find wet mascaras make my lashes droop. If I'm going to do my eyebrows- because let's be honest, in the morning, ain't nobody got time for that- I'll fill them in with the elf Eyebrow Kit in Medium. I don't really use it to give myself eyebrows, but just to fill in a little here and there.
Let me preface this by saying I have never been an eyeshadow girl. I still don't think I'm an eyeshadow girl. I am super lazy and cannot be sitting there blending for hours. I know it's not really for hours. But that's what it feels like. I also like natural looking makeup so you will never see me in a smokey eye. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great - just not on me. Recently, I've had a small change of heart. I've recognized that eyeshadow is not the devil and neutral looks can be cute and easy. I received this palette for Christmas and have been loving all the colors. I am on my way to becoming an eyeshadow master! Not really, but I do plan on wearing it more often.

Top to Bottom: MAC Del Rio, Flower Beauty Desert Flower, Milani Naturally Chic
Lastly, lipstick! I have full lips so sometimes lipstick is tricky. It can't be too glossy and it can't be too matte. Super matte lipsticks dry the shizz out of my lips and then it takes a while to "fix" them. Satin finishes are my favorite. I can do creamy mattes too. For an everyday color, I love Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Naturally Chic. It's a really nice pinky nude and it's supposed to be a dupe for MAC's Cosmo. I prefer pink nudes because truer nudes wash me out and give me corpse lips. If I want to go a bit darker, I'll use Flower Velvet Kiss Stick Lipstick in Desert Flower. You can tell I love this color because it's almost done! It's a really creamy mauve-y brick red with a matte finish. Lastly, for a more dramatic look, I have been loooving MAC's Del Rio. It's a muted plum brown with a satin finish and I always get asked about it when I wear it. I even had a guy tell me "Hey, you are rocking the shit out of that lipstick." So yes, I love this lipstick.

So, that's it! Props to you if you hung in there till the end. As you can tell, my makeup routine is pretty simple but it gets the job done. If you have any questions, leave me a comment and/or let me know what your favorite products are. I always love to read those. Have a great week! 

2 comments:

Samantha Mariko said...

welcome back to blogging! love these style inspirations and thanks for sharing the makeup you use! appreciate you visiting my blog :)
www.samanthamariko.com

sydni said...

i adore your blog!