Saturday, June 27, 2015

a dry girl's guide to makeup

  I don't know about you, but I feel like a lot of beauty bloggers/Youtubers have oily or combination skin. There are a lot of products out there that cater to oily skin. I watch videos of beauty bloggers who say that they have dry skin and I laugh and laugh. I have the driest skin on Earth. I also have eczema. In the winter, my T- zone literally peels (gross but true). I also get a lot of redness. Anyway, for a long time I believed that products would not work on me because I have "bad skin" and that's the way it would be forever. I used to wash my face every morning with hand soap *gasp* and would moisturize with Victoria Secret lotion *gasps louder*. I wouldn't prime my face before applying foundation and would wonder why matte foundations  would cake up on my skin.
  This might seem like common sense to most, but you really have to pay attention to your skin. If you start to break out or have a change in texture, ask yourself: What have I been eating? What products did I use? Is it that time of the month? All of these factors contribute to the way your skin looks and feels. I've found a couple products that have been life savers for me and if you have really dry skin like I do, they could help!

My eyebrows are crying out for a threading
My driest areas are between my eyebrows, the sides of my nose and my laugh lines.

I used to buy the Cetaphil cream but one day it was sold out and I bought the generic Walmart version. It is the exact same thing and also about $4 cheaper. Same with the cleanser! The cleanser is very gentle and also removes makeup which is a bonus. It doesn't feel like your skin is being stripped of moisture which was a huge issue for me and it's great for every day. I like to bathe at night so after I get out of the shower I apply the cream. It's very thick and moisturizing but not in a heavy way. The next morning, my skin is always soft and smooth. It also calms my eczema significantly.

For my eyes, I like to use the tarte Maraca C-Brighter Eye Treatment. My under eye area also gets pretty dry so I use this to prevent my concealer from creasing. It also brightens and wakes up my eyes. When I first started using it, it was a little tingly which might bother some but you get used to it. Good stuff!
Now this. This has been a Godsend. I have tried the Maybelline Baby Skin Primer (greasy + gross + broke me out), The Smashbox Hydrating primer (meh), and the elf Tone Correcting primer (good in the winter for redness) but nothing beats this. It's hydrating, not too silicone-y feeling and smooths out the face. When I wear this under a matte foundation, my skin looks even and smooth.
Lastly, is this little gem MAC Fix +. I got the travel size because I wanted to try it out before committing to the full size. You can use it before and/or after applying your makeup. It's a refreshing finishing spray that is especially helpful to someone with skin as dry as mine. I've sprayed this on my face when I've been out late and my skin starts to feel a bit drunk dehydrated. You can also spray this on your brush when applying eyeshadow to make the eyeshadow more pigmented and foiled looking.

And that's it! I hope this post wasn't super boring but helpful for anyone who suffers from barren, desert skin. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know I'm always willing to try something new! xoxo

No comments: